Oral History Rules I’ve Broken
- Interviewed people I know well
- Had multiple interviews with either 2 or 3 narrators at a time
- In said interviews I was not miked and when there were 3 people, neither was one of the narrators.
- Staunchly avoided chronological questions
- Conducted interviews at 2:30 a.m.
- Conducted interviews after sharing more than one bottle of wine with camera-woman and narrator
- Naked children run, cry and generally interrupt a filmed interview in which cigarettes are lit and smoked, interviewees decide to get up and remove mics at will and rounds of mate are served.
- Shown up to an interview without recording equipment
- Specifically danced around personal questions
By Allison Corbett of Para Contar QuailBellMagazine.com